• I am detail-oriented by nature, but I don’t allow this to blind me to the big picture.
• I can edit a variety of texts with appropriate attention to clarity for the intended audience.
• I am organized, adaptable, and a swift learner.
• I am comfortable with both Macintosh and Windows platforms and software, including Word, QuarkXPress, Adobe InDesign, and Adobe Photoshop, and I’m familiar with SGML/HTML coding.
• I am dependable, consistent, and hard working.
Areas of Expertise
Medical/dental/scientific texts (familiar with AMA Manual of Style, 9th and 10th editions)
General humanities, including music, literature, dance, film studies, theater, religion, and language (familiar with Chicago Manual of Style, 14th and 15th editions)
Christian literature, both fiction and nonfiction, for the general market
• Freelance Editorial Services, 1998–present, including copyediting, substantive editing, and proofreading of reference works, medical/dental manuscripts, and religious fiction and nonfiction. Clients have included Fitzroy Dearborn Publishing, Shaw Publishers, InterVarsity Press, Allen Press, Maryland Composition, Aptara (previously TechBooks), Quintessence Publishing Company, Bridgespan, Right Weigh, the American Cancer Society, Elsevier, and a number of independent authors, clinicians, and researchers.
• Manuscript Editor/Managing Editor, Quintessence Publishing Company, Carol Stream, Illinois, 1998–2001. Guided publication of scientific manuscripts for several journals following completion of peer review. This included copyediting articles (often of writing by nonnative English speakers), assessment of quality of production materials, coordination of processes with production editor, working with freelance proofreaders and indexers, tracking of manuscripts from submission to publication, responding to queries from authors, management of house style guide for journals, submission of materials to printer, and ensuring consistently high production values.
• Article Editor, Comforce/RhoTech, Redmond, Washington, working on Encarta Encyclopedia, a CD-ROM product, for Microsoft Corporation, 1995–1998. Evaluated encyclopedia’s existing content and created new article programs, developed article specifications, sought contributors, commissioned articles, edited and researched new and existing content, selected appropriate media, wrote captions for new media, corrected errors, and tracked all material through complex database systems.
• Proofreader, RhoTech, Redmond, Washington, working on Encarta Encyclopedia and Encarta World Atlas (later Virtual Globe), at Microsoft, 1995. Reviewed new and revised articles for accuracy, tracked articles and program bugs via complex databases.
Middlebury College, Middlebury, VT. B.A. in English Literature with High Honors, Magna Cum Laude, 1991. Minored in Sociology/Anthropology and Music.
Certificate in Advanced German, spring 1997, Eastside German Language School.
Certificate in Nonfiction Writing, University of Washington Extension Writers Program. Completed August 1997.
Completed course in developmental and substantive editing, 2003, Editorial Freelancers Association.
ELS Certification, Board of Editors in the Life Sciences, 2010.
For more information, contact me at: firstname.lastname@example.org